CORRELATION OF SMARTPHONE ADDICTION WITH TEXT NECK SYNDROME DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
Keywords:Addiction, Musculoskeletal, Neck, Pain, Smartphone, Students, University
Background: Smartphones pervasiveness has captured people with the ability to search for information, communicate more easily, and make our day-to-day jobs easier. On the other hand, excessive smartphone use can also lead to serious musculoskeletal consequences including neck pain and disability. Objective: To determine the correlation of Text-Neck-Syndrome with smartphone addiction during the COVID-19 pandemic. Methods: The cross-sectional study was conducted on n=500 participants of both genders between 20 to 30 years olds. The study population were assessed for text next syndrome with Neck disability index, and neck pain on Visual analogue scale (VAS) and Smartphone addiction scale short version (SAS-SV) to find problematic smartphone usage. The spearmen test was used to determine the correlation between the Text neck syndrome and smartphone addiction during Covid-19 pandemic. Results: The mean age of the participants was 22.8±2.47 years. A total of n=418(83.6%) were female and remaining n=82(16.4%) was male participated in the study. The results showed that there is significant mild to moderate positive significant correlation (p<0.05) between individual item and total score of SAS-SV with pain and neck disability. Conclusion: It was concluded that the excessive use of smart phone during COVID 19 caused neck pain and related functional impairment.
Keywords: Addiction, neck disability, neck pain, text neck syndrome, VAS
Copyright (c) 2022 Rafia Farrukh Shamsi, Aisha Sadeeqa, Asma Afzal Khan, Fizah Mahnoor Khan, Aruba Saeed, Syeda Nayab Sheeraz
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) 4.0 License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.